Lawn Be Gone!
Front lawns are as American as apple pie and baseball... but why? And are they serving our needs? Our nation's obsession with perfectly manicured, weed-free front lawns is an exercise in conformity as well as a means of upholding appearance over substance, and continuing to keep regular people dependent on large corporations to meet their fundamental human need for sustenance and nutrition.
What if we could collectively re-think the purpose of our front yards? What alternative functions might it serve?
By converting unused front lawns into beautiful, productive gardens, we can achieve so much -
- Food for ourselves and our families,
- Food and connection with our neighbors,
- Emergency/disaster preperadness,
- Habitat and food for birds, bees, and other wildlife,
- Fewer (hopefully zero) harmful chemicals entering the soil and the air,
- Fewer harmful emissions from motorized lawn care implements,
- A wonderful way to connect with nature,
- And so much more!