Free Mini Gardens for Low Income Families of Humboldt County, CA
Our volunteers will deliver a customized small garden setup to you at no charge. It is your responsibility to maintain your mini-garden (though we're happy to offer advice and support if needed.)
In 2022, mini gardens are available to low-income families with one or more child aged 8 or younger. (There is no eligibility requirement or proof of income.)
Why grow a garden?
- Increase your access to fresh produce at no cost to you.
- Reduce your reliance on corporatized food system (especially in the face of potential COVID related supply chain problems).
- Reduce your trips to the grocery store, thus keeping workers (and yourself) safer during this pandemic.
- Help the environment by reducing your family's food miles, and therefore your carbon footprint.
Update - 4/6/2022: We are likely already maxed on participants for this season. You are still welcome to fill out the form below, but we cannot guarantee that we will have enough resources to provide you with a mini garden this year.
Want to Help?
We welcome your support of this project in the following areas. If you're able to help, please email us!
- Donate soil
- Donate compost
- Donate materials to build planters
- Donate large grow bags (150 gallon preferred)
- Donate plant starts (especially lettuce, strawberries, peas, cherry tomatoes)