Free Community Fruit Trees
OUR 2021 FRUIT TREE PLANTING INITIATIVE HAS CONCLUDED.
Please come back at the end of 2021 or start of 2022 if you'd like to request a fruit tree next time!
Each Winter, we offer free fruit trees to local residents who agree to share the harvest with anyone who wants some. In 2019, we planted 23 free fruit trees, and in 2020 we planted 57 more!
We're now accepting requests for plantings in February-April 2021. To be eligible, the planting location must be accessible to passers-by, and you must be willing to make the fruit available to anyone who wants some. For more details please read our agreement, then fill out this form to request a tree and we'll be in touch soon.
Each tree planted brings us one step closer to making Humboldt County a place where the landscape itself can provide us with the food that we all need. With your help, we’re turning our community into a food forest, one tree at a time!
- Cooperation Humboldt will work with you to choose a tree variety and planting location that will meet the tree’s needs and be accessible to the public for future harvesting.
- Cooperation Humboldt will purchase the tree and plant it at the location we’ve chosen together.
- You will be responsible for watering the tree and any other ongoing care that it requires. We are happy to work with you if you need any lessons on proper tree care.
- When the tree begins to fruit, you agree to make it available to anyone who wants to enjoy some. Cooperation Humboldt will add signage to let folks know that they are welcome to partake of the fruit.
Fruit Tree Resources
- Fruits of The Humboldt Bay - a guide to what trees grow well in our region
- A great 20 minute primer on scion collection (in preparation for fruit tree grafting)
- Planting & Care of Young Fruit Trees
Community Fruit Trees Planted