2 days ago
DISASTER RESPONSE UPDATE FROM COOPERATION HUMBOLDT AND THE RED CROSS:
Hello community members,
This has been a busy few weeks for everyone and we wanted to say thank you to for your willingness to step up and help your neighbors in response to the multiple crises we’re collectively facing. We’re still in the midst of wildfire season, we may see mudslides in winter, and we could always have an earthquake or tsunami. As a community we need to be ready to help our neighbors. To meet this need the Red Cross will be offering disaster response shelter training at the Ferndale Fairgrounds this Sat-Sun. at the following times:
· 10am-12pm Orientation 1 (for those interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers)
· 12pm-2pm Orientation 2 (for those interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers)
· 2pm-4pm Orientation for non-Red Cross volunteers (such as those doing disaster response work through Cooperation Humboldt)
· 10am-12pm Orientation 3 (for those interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers)
· 12pm-2pm Orientation 4 (for those interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers)
· 2pm-4pm Orientation 5 (for those interested in becoming Red Cross volunteers) and break down
There will be a maximum of 15 participants per orientation so please let us know which orientation you wish to attend. Each orientation will be the same, with the only exception being Sat 2-4 which will specifically focus on non-Red Cross shelters. We’re offering this many options to keep participant numbers low to facilitate social distancing while hoping to increase participation overall. They should only last an hour, but there will be added time for questions and discussions on site.
PLEASE RSVP TO SABRINA AT firstname.lastname@example.org
These orientations are meant to provide context for additional online training that will follow. After the orientation the Red Cross and/or Cooperation Humboldt will be offering:
1. An expedited series of Red Cross sheltering trainings for those individuals willing to deploy outside of Humboldt
2. A weekly recurring training for local Red Crossers so we can work towards growing our local level of readiness
3. A series of trainings for non-Red Crossers interested in learning about independent sheltering
These follow-up classes will be conducted via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
Thank you so much for all of your efforts. Together we will work to create a more resilient Humboldt!
Your friends at Cooperation Humboldt ... See MoreSee Less